Bomba and Plena In the House
Bomba and Plena In the House
Interactive Cultural Education Workshops for NYC Students
LP21’s Bomba & Plena “In the House” Performance-Demo Series recharges and continues in 2019, with new and exciting theme oriented Performance-Demonstrations by LP21 Ensemble and Guest Performers!
Check out our monthly themes coming up for the rest of the school year:
- JANUARY – A musical celebration of the Epiphany and the magic of the Three Kings Day Celebration continues throughout the whole month of January-QUE VIVAN LOS REYES!
- FEBRUARY – Celebrate Black History Month by introducing your students to these drum and dance forms that are integral to the kaleidoscope of Afro-derived cultural expressions in NYC!
- MARCH – A Women’s History Musical Celebration, as seen through the prism of bomba and plena – celebrating women’s past, present and future role in these time-honored traditions!
- MAY – Bamba con Bomba! LP21 teams up with Jarana Beat to explore an educational interactive musical celebration of Afro-Mexican Culture!
- JUNE – What better way to celebrate the National Puerto Rican Parade than by learning about these cherished Afro-Puerto Rican cultural traditions!
CELEBRATING 35 YEARS OF BOMBA AND PLENA: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE!
In the House (ITH), now in its 12th season, offers NYC K-12 students a hands-on opportunity to learn about Afro-Puerto Rican bomba and plena music and dance traditions, through energy-packed, interactive music performance workshops. Our skilled musicians and practitioners teach students about the history and cultural context of these centuries-old traditions, and engage them in a hands-on, age appropriate, participatory learning experience.
FEES – Subsidized fees to all NYC Schools is $350, a considerable discount from LP21’s in-school performance fees.
HOW MANY students can attend? The maximum capacity for each session is 35 people, including students, teachers and chaperones.
WHERE do ITH workshops take place? In LP21’s own studio at Julia de Burgos Cultural Center, 1680 Lexington Ave, NYC, 10029 – In the heart of historic Spanish Harlem – El Barrio!
WHEN are ITH workshops offered? YOU choose the best date and time for your class. We will work to find a time that fits your schedule for these intimate workshops.
HOW TO RESERVE YOUR SESSION OF BOMBA AND PLENA IN THE HOUSE
Just click on the RSVP button below to access the ITH Reservation Form.
Let us know your top 3 choices for dates and times, as well as your group size and grade level. Then we will reach out to you to confirm the date with you.
Each workshop lasts for 1 hour and is catered to the size and age group of each class.
Please keep in mind that space is limited. If we are unable to reach you by phone or email after we have received your RSVP form, your requested date and time might become unavailable.
If you have any questions, please reply to this email.
Direct email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Text only: 646-541-5059
Can’t make it for In the House? Have multiple groups? No problem, we can come to your school instead! Just ask us about LP21’s Bomba and Plena In the Schools program.
We can’t wait to introduce your students to the engaging Afro-Puerto Rican cultural expressions of bomba and plena! …